Thursday, April 30, 2009

Do You Feel Safer?

A new political ad by the Republican party begins by asking, "What are Democrats Doing to Keep America Safe?"

The ad goes on to chronicle events such as the closing of Gitmo, the debate over torture, the President's recent meetings with Venezuelan strongman Hugo Chavez, and the infamous bowing incident with the Saudi king.

Sure, it's politics, and that is what politicians do. But to answer the question, I'd have to say that, no, I don't feel any safer than I have done for the past eight years, knowing that our borders are not secure and that south american gangs, drug runners, weapons smugglers, illegal aliens, and terrorists have infiltrated our country.

I don't feel safer knowing that the 9/11 hijackers were able to learn to fly an aircraft, but not bother to learn how to land it, and nobody in our intelligence and security services was curious enough to ask why--despite the fact that reports were submitted.

I don't feel safer knowing that HR45, Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009, and the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban renewal bill are both waiting in the wings for the right time for Congress to pass them.

I don't feel safer knowing that the President, in his first one hundred days press conference said about the Taliban's efforts to expand their power base in Pakistan, "I feel confident that the nuclear arsenal will remain out of militant hands." I wish I felt that confident. The Taliban has a base only sixty miles away from the Pakistani capital.

Do I feel safer? No, but there's plenty of blame to go around. I haven't felt safer since Ronald Reagan was president.

No comments: