Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Never Let an Election Go to Waste

Republican candidate for Ted Kennedy's Senate seat, Scott Brown's win yesterday in Massachusetts may be a taste of things to come in the November mid-term elections when the entire U.S. House of Representatives and one-third of the U.S. Senate is up for re-election.

The electorate is fed up with Chicago-style politics in Washington D.C., and this morning I suspect that many incumbent Democrats and maybe quite a few Republicans are considering their options and wondering if they should run again in November.

I wish Scott Brown luck in his new position. I hope he works to restore fundamental conservative values to a party and a government that has tried for too long to be a big tent and encompass all people and all opinions. The correct word to describe this is not "Diversity", but "Fragmentation",

Personally, I'm almost as tired of the Republicans as I am of the Democrats. In some cases, it's hard to tell the difference. Having lived through several elections in a country that had first a three-party, and later a four-party system of government, I can only say that while our two-party system invites the frustrating procedure of voting for the lesser of two evils, a multiple-party system often splits the vote between the two most capable parties, thus allowing the worst party to actually be elected!

So, while I support the unofficial Tea Party and it's attempts to rein in the abuses of Democrats and Republicans alike, I don't see the Tea Party ever becoming a viable third party option. I would, however like to see the Tea Party replace either the Democratic or the Republican party. Neither one has earned the trust and respect of the American people for a long time.

No comments: